Catcher?! I barely know 'er!

Although only seven chapters into The Catcher in the Rye, we have already been presented with enough information to begin digging into the complexities of Holden's character through his narration of his feelings and thoughts, and physical interactions with other characters.

Within the first chapter, we are informed about Holden's educational dilemma. Holden has expressed total apathy toward his education and as a consequence, has been kicked out of Pencey Prep for failing four out of five of his classes. However, even though Holden has been kicked out of Pencey, he still interacts with and expresses his opinions of a handful of Pencey staff and attendees during his final days at the school.

One of the first significant characters we meet from Pencey Prep is Mr. Spencer, Holden's former history teacher. During chapter two, Holden pays his now sickly teacher a visit before he leaves Pencey Prep. From this interaction, we get our first look into Holden's pessimistic view of life and his harsh criticisms of others around him. Holden seems to hold others at unrealistic standards that he oftentimes fails to meet. One example of this is when Holden explains to Mr. Spencer what Dr. Thurmer told him about flunking. Mr. Spencer agreed with what Dr. Thurmer had said to Holden, saying, "Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules." After hearing this, Holden agrees with Mr. Spencer, although saying through his narration, "Game my ass. Some game," before explaining life is only a game when you're on the side with all the "hotshots." Here we see Holden's tendency to say what others like to hear, despite actually believing the opposite to prevent confrontation and further conversation. By falsely agreeing with Mr. Spencer, Holden himself is acting like a phony; in other words, he is putting on a persona that goes against one of his most common criticisms of others. This interaction would eventually end with Holden lying to Mr. Spencer about forgetting his equipment at the gym, so he could cut the conversation short. These actions prove that Holden does not care about his education, that he ignores many of his problems, that he disregards the advice of others when they try to help him, and that he is blind to his own hypocrisy. However, despite all of this, the fact that Holden took the time just to visit Mr. Spencer does reveal that he does somewhat about those around him and that his tendencies to be cynical and ignore his problem are merely done to hide his insecurities and not reveal himself to others.

Holden’s obvious acts of hypocrisy go further than his interaction with Mr. Spencer. Expanding just a bit further, chapter three begins with Holden saying, "I am the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life." This confession exposes Holden’s tendency to lie to others, something you wouldn't ordinarily expect from a character who is known for criticizing others for being "phony."

In chapter three, we are introduced to Holden's neighbor Ackley. Holden first informs the reader about Ackley through multiple unflattering descriptions of his appearance, saying, "He was one of those very, very tall, round-shouldered guys—he was about six four—with lousy teeth," continuing this by saying, "Besides that, he had a lot of pimples." Holden would also go on to describe Ackley as having a "terrible personality" and being a "nasty guy." The fact that Holden chooses these descriptions to introduce Ackley's character displays how he is prone to focusing on negative traits of people and life.

Also during the time Ackley was wandering inside Holden's room, Holden would often do and say things to purposely get under Ackley's skin and not take their conversation seriously. An example of this is when Holden says, "'I think I'm going blind,' I said in a very hoarse voice. 'Mother darling, everything's getting so dark in here.'" Here, Holden pulled a small gag on Ackley, pretending to be unable to see and crying out to his mother for assistance. This is a method used by Holden to not only get back at those he dislikes for bothering him, but to also escape any potentially revealing interactions with others.

Stradlater and Jane's roles in chapter four crossed into each other a bit. Jane's role in the entire story is already rather sophisticated, considering that she never actually appears in the book. However, despite her absence, Jane still means a great deal to Holden and his thoughts about her reveal quite a bit about Holden's character. Jane is the only character that we are aware of that Holden is actually attracted to and because of this, she becomes very sacred to Holden. Like many of Holden's fondest memories, he tries his best to preserve them. One example of this is when Holden couldn't find the strength to throw the snowball he had made because everything he could have thrown it at was, "so nice and white." This urge to preserve innocence has a profound effect on Holden's actions. An example of this is after Stradlater's date with Jane, when Holden explained, "All I know is I got up from the bed, like I was going down to the can or something, and then I tried to sock him, with all my might, right smack in the toothbrush, so it would split his goddamn throat open." Holden became infuriated after Stradlater went on a date with Jane, as he strongly dislikes Stradlater and knows he is sexually active, something he refuses to accept as the truth for Jane as well. This incident was able to drive Holden, an admitted pacifist, to a point of extreme violence with the intent to kill Stradlater. This also goes further into proving Holden's already self admitted hatred for Stradlater.

Upon reading about this incident of violence from Holden, one might take this as evidence that Holden is psychotic, but I do not believe this to be true. For one to be psychotic, they must be completely incapable of feeling empathy for others, forming bonds, and understanding consequences of amoral behavior. The fact that Holden is so defensive of Jane shows great signs of compassion and takes the possibility of being a psychopath out of the question for me. Believe me, I'm no psychiatrist, but as it stands now, I do not believe Holden is crazy—as some have suggested—he may have slightly reserved anger problems, but he does not fit the qualifications to be a psychopath. It's still very early to come to any conclusions of this proportion, but Holden being sociopathic may not be totally out of the question yet. He has suffered from a rough and traumatic childhood which is very likely to have had a permanent impact on his mental health and actions. Then again, this is complete speculation and I could be completely off, but we’ll find out soon enough.

There is so much information presented about Holden's character in these first seven chapters alone, that I feel this analysis barely scratches the surface of many points. The thought of this only being the beginning is both invigorating and slightly horrifying at the same time.

Comments

  1. Honestly, this is one of the best blog I have read yet (you are my fourth blog). When you say "However, despite all of this, the fact that Holden took the time just to visit Mr. Spencer does reveal that he does somewhat care about those around him... are merely done to hide his insecurities and not reveal himself to others." It was a bit of a run-on sentence, but the analysis was pretty clear. The one thing I would suggest is to compare the other characters to Holden a little more. For one thing, Ackley annoys Holden just as much as Holden annoys Ackley, and it probably means that Holden hates Ackley so much because he represents everything Holden hates about himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Your point about comparing Holden to other characters is definitely something I didn't consider when writing this, so I'll definitely look for opportunities to do this when writing future character analyses. Glad you liked the blog!

      Delete
  2. This blog is very well structured and very informational on Holden's character. When you say holden focuses on the negative traits about others, do you think he views someone he loves like Jane as negative too? Do you think Holden sees the negative in everyone? Also, why do you think that Holden preserves his memories? Is it possible he has issues with moving forward so he focuses on the past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked your follow-up questions, so I'm going to try and answer them as briefly as possible. 1.) I do believe that Holden can see the negative traits in everyone, even those that he loves, such as Jane. However, just because Holden can detect these negative traits, doesn't mean that he is able to accept them. This is partially why I believe Holden snapped at Stradlater after his date with Jane--he didn't want to accept the fact that Jane would settle for someone like him. 2.) I believe Holden wants to preserve his memories because he refuses to grow up. Holden is prone to ignoring his problems and part of his ignorance comes from being stuck in the past, when he had fewer problems. Thanks for the feedback and I hope I answered everything you were wondering!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anthony,
    I really liked this blog. Your points were very well-thought out, and you provided a lot of evidence to back up your statements. I loved how you pointed out hypocritical Holden is. He is constantly getting mad about people being "phonies," but he is constantly lying to others.

    I think that you should have gone more in depth about how Holden and Ackley are extremely similar, and how this could be why Holden is constantly picking on themselves. Ackley was ranting about how Stradlater thought he was so superior all the time, and that immediately reminded me of Holden's rants about Thurmer, Ossberger, and Mr. Haas. They are both isolated from the school/society, and go to each other when they are feeling lonely, even if they end up annoying one another the whole time they're together. I think that Holden is constantly attacking Ackley's appearance to distract from the fact that the two share a lot of personality traits, whether Holden wants to admit it or not.

    The last thing is, if you were going to say that Holden could potentially be a sociopath, I think that you should gone more in depth to back up your claim. I would like to see more elaboration on this point, because I agree that he does display some odd tendencies, but until you actually provide some solid evidence that he is a sociopath, that isn't a word to throw around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and suggestions. Thinking about it now, I definitely agree that Holden and Ackley share similarities. I also agree that this is partially why Holden dislikes Ackley so much, as people strangely tend to dislike others who are similar to them. Also, I was originally going to go in depth on why Holden shares traits of a sociopath, but this blog ended up being ~1,200 words and I didn't want to stray too much further from my main points. However, I will make sure to elaborate on this point if appropriate in a future blog.

      Delete
  4. Ant, I indeed enjoyed reading this blog. You clearly summed up of what was going on in the book and that was the type of blog I was looking for. Your information is clear, organized, and there is not really anything negative to say about it. My suggestions to you is that you can mention how Holden does not really appreciate himself before he appreciate others. Due to the fact that he lacks in school and decides to have a weird interaction with his peers, there has to be something that is happening in Holden's head. Yes, I agree that he does not fit in the category of being 'psychopath' but there definitely has reasons why he acts like how he does. Seven chapters will not allow us to have a full intention with who he is because his character can develop or change due to what is occurring around him. I agree with you in a lot of aspects of your blog but I feel like there can be a little more of a descriptive information about Holden's perspective towards himself and why he treats her surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input and suggestions! Yes, I agree that these seven chapters aren't enough to do a full psychiatric evaluation of Holden, so much of my theory was based on personal knowledge of those conditions and are subject to change as we continue to read. There is also more to that theory that I had to leave out in fear for making this blog unnecessarily long, so I'll definitely continue writing about then if given the chance.

      Delete
  5. Houston we have a problem. You write that "Holden's tendency to say what others like to hear, despite actually believing the opposite to prevent confrontation and further conversation. By falsely agreeing with Mr. Spencer, Holden himself is acting like a phony; in other words, he is putting on a persona that goes against one of his most common criticisms of others." Isn't Holden actually playing "the game" when he tells others what they want to hear? Do people like when they are openly criticized? How is this hypocritical? I think he is showing compassion for others by shielding them for what he truly thinks?

    I anxiously await your response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear your Omnipotence,
      I definitely understand where you are coming from, but these question can be hard to find common ground on. I say this because there are no actual set rules in the game of life, so it can be hard to definitively say whether he is following the rules or not. However, one could agree that Holden holding back the truth from others is a form of lying, which is commonly looked down upon in society (meaning he is breaking what is often regarded as a rule of life). Also, I believe this is hypocritical of Holden as he is being ungenuine to others, a trait of phoniness that he openly despises. Lastly, I do not believe that Holden is lying to others in an act of compassion; I believe that he is able to do this because he doesn't care about actually bonding with others and telling them the truths that they should hear.

      Delete
  6. As usual you have expanded my brain to about double the size after reading this. I thoroughly enjoy your writing, as you are very analytical and well-spoken. I completely agree with the point you made about Holden being apathetic of his own future, and the fact that Holden is a huuuuuge hypocrite. I think that some improvement could be made on the evaluation of other character's reactions to Holden in comparison with his reaction to them (does that make sense?). Overall, your blog is fantastic and I couldn't write like you if I tried so hats off to you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and suggestions! I do understand what you're saying about how other characters react to Holden and not just on how Holden reacts to them, so I'll try to include similar points in future blogs. Other than that, I HIGHLY suggest you see a doctor about your brain doubling in size, that doesn't sound healthy and I'm genuinely concerned.

      Delete
  7. Your blog is well written and the part that really intrigued me was the part where you inferred that Holden may be a sociopath. It makes me wonder if Allie's death may have had more of an impact on Holden than he himself realizes. Holden is very negative towards a lot of things, but do you think Holden is ever positive about anything? If so, what makes those things different from others? I don't believe he's a psychopath either, perhaps just traumatized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my sociopath theory! So far, I don't believe that Holden can think positively (although this can still change), which is partially why I believe he is stuck in the past: the only fond memories are the ones he has from the past, which is why he tries to preserve them so desperately and struggles to accept change.

      Delete
  8. I really LOVE this blog!!! This is very well done and shows your understanding of the book. I love your voice shines through and how you go into the mind of Holden and understand why he is acting the way he is. I feel that 1 or 2 more memes will be great for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I'll try to include more memes next time.

      Delete
  9. Anthony I really liked this bog. I feel you and me had similar views and took those views too opposite directions. You went in depth really well. You showed many important things and really tied everything back to your central idea. In all I really don't have anything bad to say. So keep it up I eNjoy reading it. Also DINNER IS READY SO GET YOUR GOD DAMN ASS UP AND COME DOWNSTAIRS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked it! Interesting how you found similarities in our ideas.
      Also, I don't care what you cooked tonight, I'm not eating it.

      Delete
  10. Hi Anthony, this blog post is honestly really good. You bring up so many important points about Holden and his personality. I also completely agree with your statement that, "Holden seems to hold others at unrealistic standards that he oftentimes fails to meet." I like that this post was very informative and realistic and that you backed up your statements, but I also like how you incorporated your point of view ( on the possibility of him being a sociopath) even if there wasn't super strong evidence quite yet.. It's still very believable. Overall great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! Had to cut out some of the things I was going to say about the sociopath theory, so I'll make sure to elaborate on it further if the opportunity comes. Glad you found it interesting!

      Delete
  11. Anthonyyy,
    I really enjoyed your blog it was well written and i could agree with you on a couple things such as when you say that Holden does not fit in as a "psychopath" and yeah he's just a teenager stuck in a time. Maybe focusing a bit more on Holden's reactions to other characters, but overall it was a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several other people have suggested adding points about how characters react to each other, so I'll try to include similar points in the future. Other than that, thanks for your suggestions and words of motivation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts